- Syrian doctor describes latest alleged chemical attack as U.S. mulls response Fox News. Iran building new crossing on Syria border that would let it smuggle weapons, oil, experts say Fox News.
New Deals in Washington
- Senate passes last-minute $19.1 billion disaster relief package Axios. Congress reaches deal on disaster aid: California gets funds, Trump’s border request doesn’t Los Angeles Times.
- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange charged with 17 new criminal counts, including violating Espionage Act CNBC.
- Migrant surge accelerates at U.S.-Mexico border Voice of America. Exclusive: Border mission at ‘high risk of failure’ without more support amid plans for 6 new tent cities Newsweek.
China Trade War
- Trump announces $16 billion in aid to farmers as trade war continues NBC News. Trump insists Chinese tariffs will cover $16 billion farm trade aid package CNBC. Trump: ‘I can imagine Huawei being included’ in a U.S.-China trade deal CNBC.
- The China trade war is leading to lower mortgage rates for American homebuyers CNBC. Dow drops more than 250 points, continuing this month’s slide on trade war fears CNBC. Wall Street is becoming convinced the trade war is here to stay and will only get worse CNBC.
- Amid tensions with Iran, White House mulls U.S. military request to send more forces to the Middle East Washington Post. U.S. plans more troops for Mideast, eyes quick arms sales to allies there Wall Street Journal. Pentagon denies media reports detailing Mideast troop increase Voice of America.
- Narendra Modi crushes all competition in India election Axios. How Modi has reinvented Indian politics BBC. India election 2019: Narendra Modi thanks voters for ‘historic mandate’ BBC. Trump congratulates Indian prime minister on reelection The Hill.
- Brexit news: Theresa May under the gun as U.K. holds E.U. elections 3 years after vote to leave CBS News.
- Officials fighting U.S. measles outbreaks threaten to use rare air travel ban Washington Post.
Bonus: Officials fighting U.S. measles outbreaks threaten to use rare air travel ban Washington Post.